Dr Marco CINELLI
Postdoctoral Researcher of Assessing and Measuring Energy Systems Resilience
Marco joined the 'Assessing and Measuring Energy Systems Resilience' submodule of the Future Resilient Systems (FRS) programme in April 2017. Prior to his appointment at FRS, Marco was an early career fellow at the Institute of Advanced Study and research assistant in the Sustainable Materials and Manufacturing Group of WMG Department, University of Warwick in the UK.
He holds a PhD in Engineering from the University of Warwick, an International Master in Environmental Sciences with a major in Sustainable Development from Ca’ Foscari University in Venice and Hiroshima University and a Bachelor degree in Environmental Sciences from Padua University.
Marco’s areas of research and expertise include:
- Decision support systems
- Multiple Criteria Decision Aiding (MCDA)
- Sustainability assessment
- Problem structuring and stakeholder preferences’ elicitation
- Creation of multidisciplinary research networks
His current research at FRS focuses on:
- Development of metrics and decision support tools for the resilience assessment of energy systems
- Development of classification models for the risk assessment of energy accidents
Research methods used include:
- MCDA methods from the three main families, i.e. Value/Utility Theory, Outranking (e.g. ELECTRE, PROMETHEE), Decision rules (e.g. rough set approaches)
- Predictions based on expert knowledge and modelling
- Statistical analyses (e.g. reliability, relative importance, regression models, uncertainty and sensitivity analysis)
- Literature reviews
Main collaboration is in place with the Laboratory of Intelligent Decision Support Systems, headed by Professor Roman Słowiński at the Institute of Computing Science, Poznań University of Technology, Poland.
Full list is available here
Citations and h-index (as of 21 April 2017)
Google Scholar: 187 citations (h-index: 5)
Scopus: 121 citations (h-index: 4)
- Cinelli, M., Coles, S. R., Nadagouda, M.N., Błaszczyński, J., Słowiński, R., Varma, R.S., Kirwan, K. Robustness analysis of a classification model for the synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Journal of Cleaner Production (IF: 4.959,Q1), 2017.
- Reale, F., Cinelli, M., Sala, S. Towards a research agenda for the use of LCA in the impact assessment of policies. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment (IF: 3.324, Q1), 2017.
- Cinelli, M. The art of supporting decision-making. Exchanges: The Warwick Research Journal, 2017. 4(2): 298-308.
- Kadziński, M.; Cinelli, M.; Ciomek, K; Coles, S. R.; Nadagouda, M. N.; Varma, R. S.; Kirwan, K. Co-constructive development of a green chemistry-based model for the performance assessment of nanoparticles synthesis. European Journal of Operational Research (IF: 2.679, Q1), 2016.
- Cinelli, M.; Coles, S. R.; Sadik, O.; Karn, B.; Kirwan, K. A Framework of Criteria for the Sustainability Assessment of Nanoproducts. Journal of Cleaner Production (IF: 4.959, Q1), 2016. 126: 277-287. (8 citations, Google Scholar).
- Cinelli, M.; Coles, S. R.; Nadagouda, M. N.; Błaszczyński, J.; Słowiński, R.; Varma, R.S.; Kirwan, K. A green chemistry-based classification model for the synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Green Chemistry (IF: 8.506, Q1), 2015. 17: 2825-2839. (23 citations, Google Scholar; part of top 10% most downloaded articles published in Green Chemistry in 2015).
- Cinelli, M.; Coles, S. R.; Kirwan, K. Analysis of the Potentials of Multi Criteria Decision Analysis Methods to Conduct Sustainability Assessment. Ecological Indicators (IF: 3.190, Q1), 2014. 46: 138-148. (109 citations, Google Scholar; part of the most downloaded articles published in Ecological Indicators in the last 90 days).
- A structured decision support framework for the risk assessment of energy technologies (co-authors Matteo Spada, Milosz Kadziński, Roman Słowiński, Peter Burgherr, Stefan Hirschberg), 21st Conference of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies, Quebec City, Canada, 17-21 July 2017
- Co-constructive development of a green chemistry-based model for the performance assessment of nanoparticles synthesis (co-authors Milosz Kadziński, Krisztof Ciomek, Stuart R. Coles, Mallikarjuna N. Nadagouda, Rajender S. Varma, Kerry Kirwan), 28th European Conference on Operational Research, Poznan, Poland, 3-6 July, 2016
- Co-Constructing Sustainable Nanotechnology with Multiple Criteria Decision Aiding, (invited by Dr. Serenella Sala) Bio-Economy Unit – Directorate D - Sustainable Resources, Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission, Ispra (VA), Italy, 2 May, 2016
- Multi-Criteria Decision Aiding: A Decision Support Approach for Green Chemistry-Oriented Synthesis of Nanomaterials (co-authors Stuart R. Coles, Mallikarjuna N. Nadagouda, Jerzy Błaszczyński, Roman Słowiński, Rajender S. Varma, Kerry Kirwan), 23rd International Conference on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Hamburg, Germany, 2-7 August, 2015
- Ph.D. in Engineering, University of Warwick, United Kingdom
- MSc in Environmental Sciences, Ca’ Foscari University in Venice, Italy
- BSc in Environmental Sciences, Padua University, Italy